joanne Weck Author Page

Monday, April 22, 2013

SUPPORT FOR WRITERS--PEOPLE WHO BRING OUT YOUR BEST


The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.
Epictetus



Every writer needs friends who are encouraging to their art. Every person needs friends who are there for them when they feel isolated, stuck, or insecure. I celebrate the  people I can turn to when I need an emotional boost.  I have a dear friend who encourages me while not being afraid to give an honest critique of my work. I have sisters who cheer my every success. I have a network of people I think of as my support system.

Some of these people are writers like me; some are artists of another sort. All of them are engaging in the same effort to contribute to the world in a positive way.

People who support you and your art are not competitive. They don't see the world as a collection of winners and losers, but as humans struggling to do their best in whatever field they choose.

If someone has a negative attitude about life and other people, I can listen, but I refuse to let them bring me down. They may come in handy as a model of a character who only sees the worst. But I choose to spend time with people who are optimistic and positive. My writing group always inspires me to keep plugging away at my project, even when I can't see where it's headed.


As a final thought, consider the advice of Julia Cameron, author of The Artist'sWay: be your own friend. Allow yourself to listen to your best thoughts, not your worst. Make a list of accomplishments you are proud of. Write yourself a cheerful letter to read when you need a message from a friend. WRITE ON!






No comments:

Post a Comment