joanne Weck Author Page

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

JUST WRITE IT!


"If you're trying to write and you have unlimited time, you can procrastinate an unlimited account, but if you have limited time, you rush to the page trying to get something down in the little bit of fragment of time that you have, and you may write a great deal that way."
Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way




If you want to write but you keep putting it off you may never get to it at all. I spent years "getting ready to write," organizing my files,  arranging my writing space, rereading my notes for the stories I wanted to write. I'd written plays and had them produced but I had other stories I wanted to tell. Somehow I kept procrastinating the task of actually writing them.

Then I got involved in a writers' group with writers who had published books, essays, memoirs, and short stories. As I worked to produce something for each meeting, I realized it was starting that was hardest,, like diving into cold water.

In the next three years I had not only written but actually published one novel, a mystery CRIMSON ICE, A Pocono Mountain Mystery, (Amazon paperback or ebook) a group of short stories, (various journals and websites) won four short story contests,  and was signed on by the David Black Literary agency. I have three more novels in various stages of completion, needing some editing and a cache of short stories I'm sending out.
Don't procrastinate.

Find the encouragement, a group, an online website, a fellow writer-- whatever you need to get started and just write it! WRITE ON!

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be one subject writers struggle most with--just sitting down and writing down what they have to say.

    ReplyDelete