joanne Weck Author Page

Monday, March 18, 2013

WRITING WITH FLAIR--A FRENCH BERET OR GREEN HAIR?

"Was it only by dreaming or writing that I could find out what I thought? ~ Joan Didion



When I feel that I need a bit of inspiration to revamp my own writing, I turn to Natalie Goldberg, one of the best. I can open WRITING DOWN THE BONES to any page and immediately feel as if I’m sitting at the kitchen table of my most creative and quirky friend, having coffee and cake, while she entertains me with her oddball but deeply insightful observations and suggestions. “Writing is not a McDonald’s hamburger,” she assures me and then urges me to let go of everything when I write. “Come to writing not just with your mind and ideas, but with your whole body--your heart and gut and arm.”

In her chapter “Don’t Marry the Fly,” she advises me against getting caught up in miniscule and pointless details at the risk of losing the main picture. “Stay on the side of precision,” she advises, “know your goal and stay present with it. If your mind and writing wander from it, bring them gently back.” Sage advice, but more important, advice that is absorbed because of the striking images and clever approach that anchor it into my mind.

Every chapter is replete with insights and advice that catch me by surprise--first by the lighthearted almost folksy delivery and second, by the depth and truth of her vision. My favorite chapter, I believe, is the one called Blue Lipstick and a Cigarette hanging out Your Mouth. Here she discusses drastic ways to find inspiration when I am feeling the ennui that besets many writers, becoming, “sick of ourselves, our voice, and the usual material we write about.” I laugh aloud at her advice, but it also loosens me up, inspires me. “Dye your hair green, get your nose pierced, dress as the opposite sex, perm your hair.” She explains the use of props to dream into another world. “Borrow your friend’s black motorcycle jacket, walk across the coffee shop like a hell’s angel and sit down and write.”

Often a few words from Natalie kick start my sluggish mind back into the realm of creativity. Of course it isn’t necessary to take her advice literally. I doubt I’ll ever dye my hair green. (Purple is more becoming with my brown eyes, I think.)

No comments:

Post a Comment