joanne Weck Author Page

Monday, March 25, 2013

A WRITER'S WRITING DATE

"I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. ~ Peter De Vries



Making a specific appointment with myself doesn't guarantee that I'll be inspired, but sitting down at my computer at the same time every day, six days a week, does make it much more likely. Just like becoming adept at any physical sport or exercise, my body and mind need reenforcement to keep the writing habit strong.

Yoga exercises both mind and body. When I haven't kept my yoga date they remind me that I require the stretching and meditation. If I skip my writing date, I feel the same lack and the same tug at my consciousness--an unfulfilled desire, a yearning to sit at my computer, place my fingers on the keyboard, and let my thoughts flow.

A second type of writing date, one I add to my repertory when I'm trying to complete a piece within a specific time, is to make a writing date with a fellow writer. By meeting at a particular time and place, to spend a certain period of time writing and doing nothing else--no talking, no interruptions, we force ourselves to be as creative and productive as possible.

Writing can be a solitary occupation. A writing friend with the same agenda can bolster intention and inspiration. And after the writing period there is always conversation and coffee. WRITE ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment