joanne Weck Author Page

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Reconceiving Fairy Tales

My fascination with fairy tales began when I was very young. Not the Disney versions but the scary and mysterious original versions--full of violence and danger. My favorites were Bluebeard and The Robber Bridegroom. But I was also captivated by tales of the handsome prince transformed into a bear, a beast,  or even a frog. The wicked stepsisters and the cruel stepmother. The changeling. The spell. The curse. 

Why do humans choose exactly the wrong door when presented with three choices? Why are three wishes granted but the execution always self defeating? Why are children expelled from their home to face the dangers of the world? How do these tales express our deep psychological  needs, fears and desires?

Their enchantment is akin to that of  dreams, of secrets concealed and revealed by the unconscious mind. Bettelheim explains it as allowing a much needed outlet for the desires, anxieties, and vengeful feelings that are ravaging us.

I believe elements of these tales underly my stories to enrich plot and characterization, exploring the unconscious motives that drive characters to unfathomable choices and perplexing actions.  I don’t write about magic in the classic sense, but I hope my love of the magical permeates my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment