joanne Weck Author Page

Thursday, August 1, 2013

HOW TO BE A SUCCESSFUL WRITER


“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” ― Bob Dylan


How do I define success? Not as the world might define it. If I feel successful, then, to my mind I am successful. If I am spending my time (or at least a good part of my time) doing what inspires me and makes me happy, then I am successful.

 I'm not saying that there aren't publicly recognized signs of success-- sales records, public acclaim, great reviews, film adaptations, fans who wait breathlessly for the next book, and a six-figure income.

But if I were holding out for these marks of success, it could be a long painful wait. If, however, I allow myself to indulge in the positive feelings of success immediately, I can  feel successful (and inspired) when I sit at my computer and write for my minimum of two hours. I can feel successful when I have another short story (The Killer's Kid in firstwriter) chosen for publication. I can feel successful when I get a (albeit small) royalty check for sales of my novel, CRIMSON ICE from AMAZON.

I choose to label myself a successful writer because I am enjoying my writing life every day. Perhaps someday before I die I'll hit major, recognized success as a writer (a la J. K. Rowling) but even if I don't, I count myself lucky to be able to write and so I declare that I AM A SUCCESSFUL WRITER! Join me and shout out loud and clear: I am a successful writer! WRITE ON!

1 comment:

  1. Please let me know how you define success as an artist or in any field.

    ReplyDelete