joanne Weck Author Page

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

CAN YOU TAKE IT?


"Every human being is entitled to courtesy and consideration. Constructive criticism is not only to be expected but sought."   Margaret Chase Smith 





I meet with my writing group once a week. It's as vital to me as the time I spend actually writing. Why? Partly because it encourages me to have something new (or newly edited) every week. Partly because other writers who are enthused about their own work help to keep me enthused and upbeat about mine.

What's the downside? Well, nobody likes criticism. However, if it's constructive criticism delivered in a thoughtful and helpful way (and if others in the group agree) it can point out something I've missed, something I can improve, something that just isn't working.  Insights can come from the most unlikely discussions.

When I critique someone else's work I try to start off by mentioning something about it that I really liked. This isn't hard to do because I work with a talented group of (mostly) published writers. Although the genres we represent vary widely (from paranormal romance to thrillers to nonfiction to short stories to memoir to mystery) each person in my group gives feedback and shows the ability to recognize good (or flawed) writing no matter how the material differs from theirs.

Members of my writing group have been working together for at least six years. The size of the group varies. Some leave, some recommend and invite someone new (to be approved by the group) one, unfortunately, died, one who turned out to be a poor fit was delicately encouraged to resign. Week after week we meet, we discuss, we critique, we rewrite, we meet-- the group goes on, more than a critique group---a support group. WRITE ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment