joanne Weck Author Page

Friday, October 9, 2015

WRITER'S BLOCK, PROCRASTINATION--FEAR OF FAILURE?

FEAR IS WHAT HOLDS US BACK FROM OUR CREATIVITY.



One of my favorite inspirational writers is Julia Cameron, author of several books on the creative process including The Artist's Way, Walking in This World, Finding Water, and The Complete Artis's Way. She is a prolific creator in many fields, including film, poetry, memoir, as well as her inspirational books for every artist.

One of her ideas that strikes me as deeply true is her belief  that procrastination (and/or the condition known as "writer's block) is the result of FEAR.  What can cause a person who truly wants to write (or draw, paint, sculpt, film, dance etc.) to freeze before the page or artistic material? What turns an artist's desire for expression against herself?

ACCORDING TO CAMERON, FEAR IS AT THE HEART OF SUCH PROCRASTINATION.

Her advice: before you start a new project, ask your artist (i.e. that inner creative part of yourself) several questions, including what resentments or angers you are holding in regard to the project, any fears, and what you stand to gain by NOT tackling the project.

Another part of Cameron's cannon is the daily mental "dump" called Morning Pages. She urges any creative person to make this a daily practice, simply write, no censorship, no second thoughts, no concern with grammar or spelling or structure. This practice, according to Cameron, frees the mind and dissolves writer's block.

I've attempted to incorporate this practice into my writing life, but I confess, I don't always follow through. But when I feel blocked I open one of her books and her writings inspire me and activate me.

1 comment: