joanne Weck Author Page

Monday, February 23, 2015

CATCHING FIRE





Inspiration comes from many sources. Another artist’s work can jumpstart my own creative juices.  This year has produced quite a number of inspirational films, Selma, The Imitation Game, Still Alice, Boyhood, to name a few. American Sniper left me in tears. I find I want to join in the conversation, contribute to the dialogue they present.

Live theater always inspires me. I return from a theater experience, fired up, ideas blooming from the thoughts and ideas raised, the memories stirred, the arguments or point of view expressed.

I recently attended A Winter’s Tale at the Pearl Theater in Manhattan. It is not one of my favorites among Shakespeare’s many inspiring works, but the sheer performance overwhelmed all of my senses and left me reeling with the pleasure of the evening. The acting, the sets, the lighting, the singing,  the words of the most brilliant writer were a delight. It was worth the slogging through the snow on a freezing night to get to the theater.  


I once had the pleasure of meeting with N. Richard Nash, who wrote the Rainmaker and the memory of this venerable man who never stopped writing served as my inspiration to try my own hand at plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment