joanne Weck Author Page

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

GIVE YOURSELF AN ASSIGNMENT. . . . .AND A DEADLINE

“A deadline is negative inspiration. Still, it's better than no inspiration at all.” 
― Rita Mae Brown


How does a writer keep herself inspired? Can she even depend on "inspiration" to keep her writing? In school I frequently put off my assignments until the night before they were due, then "pulled and all nighter" to get it in on time. Generally I surprised myself with the rush of creative inspiration that resulted from putting myself under such pressure.

Since those days I've learned to get the nudge that I need by giving myself an assignment--I will write at least three blog posts per week. I will write for at least two hours per day.  I will finish editing my novel by August. I will have an outline for a new book by October. I will send out three stories by Friday. I will contact my agent (again) this month.

 Although I am both the teacher and the pupil I find that writing down my goals makes me take them more seriously. Even if the two hours of writing does not always produce the marvelous results I hoped for, I feel successful because I've met my commitment. More often than not, however, I find I am truly immersed in my writing and I go on to complete the page or chapter I'm working on after my alarm rings to say I've completed my assigned minutes.

Inspiration comes from just showing up, sitting in the chair and getting it down. WRITE ON!

http://joanneweck.com/JoanneWeck/AUTHOR__J.WECK.html

No comments:

Post a Comment