joanne Weck Author Page

Thursday, November 12, 2015

WHAT'S YOUR FETISH?



 “Some hats can only be worn if you're willing to be jaunty, to set them at an angle and to walk beneath them with a spring in your stride as if you're only a step away from dancing. They demand a lot of you.” ― Neil GaimanAnansi Boys



 I believe every writer (maybe every person) has a secret fetish--some object or item of clothing that creates an emotional frisson when it is worn or touched. Everyone needs a source of magic, a ritual, a device to help her get in touch with her subconscious.


I LOVE HATS! I'm not ashamed to admit it. I have an immense collection, many of which never actually get worn outside of my house. But sometimes I put one on for inspiration when I'm writing. Each hat evokes a different mood--serious or silly, somber or cheerful, arrogant or playful.



People speak frequently of wearing many hats. different hats, but their hats are generally invisible, while mine are objects that manifest themselves in reality. They inspire me. They define me. I can be a detective or a dancer, a spy or a duchess.

Can I write without my hats? Of course I can. And I do. But still they are my secret source of magic and inspiration when I'm not feeling productive. I open my closet, find a hat that suits my mood--and voila! my fingers are flying over the keys.





No comments:

Post a Comment